We are seeking a qualified permanent candidate to join our staff as Organist, Pianist and Choral Accompanist. Please review the position description below. Feel free to forward this information to qualified musicians. Interested candidates should respond with a resume emailed to Pastor Peter Christ.
Job Title: Worship Keyboardist/Organist
Supervised by: Lead Pastor
Relates to: Music Coordinator, Choir Director, Worship and Creative Arts Teams
FLSA Status: Exempt
Employment condition: Part-time
Location: Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, Roseville, MN
Salary: Commensurate with experience ($17,000 – $20,000)
This position exists to enrich worship by leading liturgical music and hymn singing, preparing appropriate music for preludes and postludes, collaborating with the Chancel Choir director on rehearsals and performances, and working with the Lead Pastor and Music Ministry Coordinator on ways to provide music outreach to the greater community. Music matters deeply in the experience of worship and in so many other activities in the life of Prince of Peace. As the church’s primary instrumental musician, the Worship Keyboardist/Organist has a ministry to the clergy, other staff, choirs, volunteer musicians, the congregation, and the community.
Expectations of each staff person at Prince of Peace:
- Supports the mission of the church and is committed to working together to accomplish the accompanying vision of Prince of Peace:
Mission: We are claimed, gathered, and sent to build the Church and love the World.
Vision: We realize this mission as we 1) deepen our sense of how God’s story and activity shape life and 2) co-create with God to practice transforming love in the world.
- Maintains confidentiality, discretion and relates well to others with courtesy, respect, and compassion.
- Follows the Christian faith and respects the Lutheran heritage and traditions.
- Seeks to involve others in ministry, delegates when appropriate, and is a team player.
- Is knowledgeable about and adheres to all current Prince of Peace policies (e.g. Safe Church).
- Select music for prelude, postlude and other special music as needed.
- Accompany Sunday worship services and special worship services (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Lent and Holy Week), using organ and/or piano.
- Accompany the Chancel Choir for rehearsals (Wednesday nights, September through May).
- Rehearse for Sunday worship, including with soloists/ensembles as needed.
- Prepare for and deliver occasional special concerts (e.g. “Spooky Music” concert prior to All Saints day, hymn sing, etc.) as planned in collaboration with other staff.
- Collaborate with Music Coordinator and Choir Directors for scheduling, planning and rehearsals.
- Participate in long-range worship planning, meeting periodically with the Music Ministry and Creative Arts Teams, which are led by the Lead Pastor.
- Care for and work with Music Ministry Coordinator to ensure regular maintenance of instruments used by Organist, including, but not limited to, pipe organ and grand piano.
- As schedule allows, be available to perform for weddings, funerals, and other special performances. (Compensation is additional to salary, and paid from dedicated funds as appropriate.)
- Assist and support other ministries and the mission of Prince of Peace.
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities:
- High level of competency in piano/keyboard (required)
- Competency in organ performance (preferred).
- Knowledge, appreciation and experience with a variety of sacred choral music.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills in working with musicians, pastors, staff and congregation.
- Ability to play SATB+ parts for choir rehearsals
- Familiar with Lutheran Liturgy and Hymnody
- Experience playing contemporary music, and performing off a lead sheet.